Sunday, February 17, 2013

Butterfly or Angel?


MetamorphosisMetamorphosis by Erin Noelle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

View all my reviews


3.5 Stars


Goodreads Synopsis:
Scarlett MacGregor has lived a very sheltered life courtesy of her over-the-top controlling parents. Having never been to a co-ed party, much less on a date, Scarlett has relied on her books, her music, and living vicariously through her best friend Evie to keep her sanity as she's patiently awaited her freedom from their rule.
When Scarlett and Evie go away to college, Scarlett quickly meets Ashton, Dylan, and later, Mason, and is thrown into a crash course of like, love, and lust. With Evie's help, she must figure out the difference in the three and which one she wants before she ends up without any of them.


Well, first I will say that this is a great debut in the NA world by Erin Noelle.  I liked the writing style and thought the use of other 'book boyfriends' was cute (and extremely easy to relate to).  Also, I would like to know what Scarlett is drinking with her juice to make Ash, Dylan and Mason want to be with her...cuz, if its bottled, I want it.

Lets get to the good stuff...
Ash.  Ohh, Ash.  He and Scarlett have an immediate connection.  Too bad he is a self-proclaimed man-whore.  He wants Scarlett, but is also afraid that he isn't what she needs right now ...that she needs to come out of her cocoon and experience life before he thinks about being with her.  Regardless of the fact that he finds himself needing and wanting her as much as she wants him, he continues to push her away. She is Pshyche to his Eros.

And there is Dylan, Scarlett's Abercrombie Frat Boy.  He is cute, likes to spend time talking (and making out with) Scarlett on Saturday nights when they meet at a friends party.  Scarlett likes Dylan, but feels something is a little off - as he can only see her on Saturday nights...and she doesn't feel the same connection as with Ash.  But hey, he kisses great.

Last we meet Mason.  Oh. My. Mason. Yes, yes you will like this Hot, Bad Boy, Rock God with the tats and piercings...and a heart of gold.  He rocks Scarlett's world as he coaches her in all things intimate (and believe me things get steamy and yummy and where can I get one of him?!). She is his Angel.


What I liked:
I enjoyed the relationship between the best friends Scarlett and Evie.  She was Scarlett's only real friend growing up due to her parent's over-protectiveness.  Evie was great, and I liked her a lot.

I liked the references to other books (and book boyfriends)- with the intention of finding real life boys to match the types of guys they most like in their books.  Heh...sounds like a plan to me!

I liked the male leads - mainly Ash and Mason.  They each had connections to Scarlett.  They each had some hot & steamy moments and you find yourself liking each of them for very different reasons.

The secondary characters were all good, and developed well enough to play their part in the story.  The pace was good and kept the story moving.  The book had just enough quirky, just enough angst and a good amount of plain old drama to keep you satisfied.

What I didn't like as much:
You could see hints building up to the major 'climactic event'...you kinda knew something was coming.  But, when it happened I had to stop and re-read the page.  Honestly, I was like 'Wait, what?!'. Its rather abrupt, yet at the same time heartbreaking.

I felt like some of the decisions Scarlett made were rather immature and some of the twists and turns in her thinking and actions were not necessary to get to the same end (in my humble opinion).
Lets be honest...Scarlett is indecisive. C'mon girl, you can't keep both Ash and Mason all to yourself while you choose who you want - leave some hope for the rest of us!!

My Thoughts:
Yeah, you should read the book.  I found myself liking Ash, but liking Mason too.  I couldn't decide whom I wanted Scarlett to end up with...there was no clear answer. Personally, Mason had a slight edge for me - just because I felt he was there for Scarlett and more real with her...and didn't continually push her away when she got too close.  I mean really, who doesn't love a bad boy?

But, oh my goodness...the ending. Lets just say, you may not see it coming.  You may be ecstatic or heartbroken, but the fact is - the story doesn't end here.  I for one am looking forward to book two where the battle of the wings begins.
Will she be a Butterfly or an Angel?

Thank you Ms. Noelle for a great ride.  I can't wait for the next book.  I really hope you decide to entertain us with multiple POVs - because I would love love love to know what is in Ash and Mason's heads when they wage war for Scarlett's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment